Popular Posts

Friday, January 1, 2010

About Do you know anything about these colleges

 Do you know anything about these colleges?
I am a junior in high school. I have about a 3.7 and will probably graduate with about that, maybe a little higher. I have not taken the ACT or SAT, i have, however taken the PSAT and the PACT. I got a 24 on the practice ACT as a sophomore, but my goal is to get above a 26. (in the high twenties) I have taken ACT prep classes, etc. I do feel that the SAT will be much easier for me, haven taken the PSAT. I haven't recieved my scores but they will be higher in comparison to my ACT scores I'm sure. I am on the girls varsity tennis team, I am in jazz band, I did participate in Marching Band, I have been on the honor roll through out highschool, I worked for the Obama campaign from august-november ( i was an intern,worked on average 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week), I take saxophone lessons, and I take dance classes and have since I was little. I am interested in philosophy, communications, humanities, spanish(favorite subject), and I am somewhat interested in politics. I hope to do a lot of volunteer work in college. Ideally, I'd like a mid-size college in a warm college-town with liberal students. But that does not mean I won't be able to handle other things. I live in Michigan. I am liberal, I like people who are intellectual and don't party all the time, but people who do know how to have fun. I made this list of colleges out of the Fisk Guide to Colleges 2009. I would VERY much appreciate it if anyone could give me any advice, or just give me any info about the following collegeS (it would be great if it was from a student that goes there!!) : American University- Wash DC. bard college- NY Bodwoin College- Brunswick, ME UC Santa Barbara, CA UC Santa Cruz, CA University of Colorado at Boulder Drew University- Madison, NJ The Evergreen State College- Olympia, Wa Geroge Washington University-Wash DC Gettysburg College- PA Hofstra University- Hempstead NY Indiana University- Bloomington, IN McGuill University- Quebec, Canada Ithaca College- Ithaca, NY Lewis and Clark College- Portland, OR University of Michigan Michigan State University of North Carolina- Asheville, NC North Carolina State University- Raleigh NC Oberlin College- Oberlin, OH University of Virginia- Charlottseville,VA University of Vermont- Burlington, VT
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
i went to IU- Bloomington. i know it's hard to make it into the marching 100 if you want to do that but there are tons of ways to get involved in a school as big as IU. I promise that you'll have liberal students there. The greek life is very prominant but there are so many avenues to get involved in. They have student government within each dorm and you can serve as a floor representative as a freshman and work your way up to dorm president (with free housing- if it still applies). I suggest that you visit each campus- after you narrow it down to two or three and see which ones you are really seriously interested in! i don't check my yahoo email very often but i'll try to more this week in case you have any more questions
Answer 2 :
I'll try to help you with the two NC ones. (Sounds to me like you shouldn't have much trouble getting into them.) North Carolina State University at Raleigh: It's a decently large university that offers just about ANY major you can think of...and even some you'd never heard of. That's its biggest appeal. It's in a rapidly growing city that's got one of the strongest economies in the south. The surrounding city area of Raleigh is probably more liberal than the university, which gets kids from all over the state (both urban and rural). I'd say the university is moderate and the city is leaning liberal. Other nearby cities like Durham and Chapel Hill add even more liberal culture to the area. University of NC at Asheville: It's a much smaller school than NC State, and offers fewer majors. But it's definitely got options for students interested in humanities and liberal arts. The relatively small city of Asheville is a very liberal place...in the city. The minute you step outside of Asheville, though, you're in "banjo hillbilly country", if you know what I mean. So keep that in mind. The school and the university though both offer a lot of cultural activities. If you're interested in those two, I'd also check out University of NC at Chapel Hill as well as University of NC at Greensboro. Maybe even Duke University in Durham.